"Unpoliticians" is a term coined by Rethink Leadership founder Alex Torpey in a talk entitled "The Local Revolution" at Personal Democracy Forum in 2012 in reference to a rising generation of American political and civic leaders.
The term is intended to apply, broadly, for example, to people who:
- See elected office as temporary service, not a career
- Are willing to commit themselves to the betterment and development of public institutions and political systems without regard to party affiliation or special interest
- Believe in the value of diversity in decision making environments, and building governance environments to reflect that value
- Work to create more accessible and merit-based leadership spaces, especially in political environments
- Make their failures/successes known and information more widely available, to help others achieve the same things, or better things, than they have
You can watch the talk below